122: Jesus Commissions Peter

Previous

John 21:15-25


Jesus Commissions Peter



After Jesus and his disciples had eaten on the shore of the Sea of Galilee, Jesus said to Simon Peter:

“Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou me more than these?”

Peter answered:

“Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee.”

Jesus said:

“Feed my lambs.”

Then Jesus asked Peter a second time:

“Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou me?”

Peter replied:

“Yea, Lord, thou knowest that I love thee.”

Jesus said:

“Feed my sheep.”

Then Jesus asked Peter a third time:

“Simon, son of Jonah, lovest thou me?”

Peter was grieved that Jesus had asked this question of him three times, and he replied:

“Lord, thou knowest all things. Thou knowest that I love thee.”

Jesus again said to him:

“Feed my sheep. Verily, verily, I say unto thee, ‘When thou wast young, thou girdest thyself, and walkedst whither thou wouldest. But when thou shalt be old, thou shalt stretch forth thy hands, and another shall gird thee, and carry thee whither thou wouldest not.’”

Jesus said that, signifying by what manner of death Peter would glorify God. Then Jesus said:

“Follow me.”

Peter saw the disciple whom Jesus loved also following and asked Jesus:

“Lord, and what shall this man do?”

Jesus replied:

“If I will that he tarry till I come, what is that to thee? Follow thou me.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

39: Jesus Defends His Disciples for Eating with Unwashed Hands

02: The Baptism of Jesus By John

53: Jesus Discusses The Need For Humility