94: Jesus Questioned As To His Authority

Previous

Matthew 21:23-27; Mark 11:27-33, Luke 20:1-8


Jesus Questioned As To His Authority



As Jesus was teaching in the temple, preaching the gospel, the chief priests, scribes, and elders came to him, saying:

“Tell us, by what authority doest thou these things? Or who is he that gave thee this authority?”

Jesus answered them, saying:

“I also will ask you one thing, which if ye tell me, I in like wise will tell you by what authority I do these things. The baptism of John, whence was it? From Heaven, or of men?”

The chief priests, scribes, and elders reasoned with themselves, saying:

“If we shall say, ‘From Heaven,’ he will say, ‘Why then believed ye him not?’ And if we say, ‘Of men,’ all the people will stone us; for they be persuaded that John was a prophet.”

So they said to Jesus that they were unable to say the source of the baptism of John. Thereupon Jesus replied:

“Neither tell I you by what authority I do these things.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

39: Jesus Defends His Disciples for Eating with Unwashed Hands

02: The Baptism of Jesus By John

53: Jesus Discusses The Need For Humility