109: Jesus’ Prayer In Gethsemane

Previous

Matthew 26:36-46; Mark 14:32-42; Luke 22:39-46


Jesus’ Prayer In Gethsemane



When Jesus and his disciples arrived at the Garden of Gethsemane, Jesus said to them:

“Sit ye here, while I go and pray yonder.”

Jesus took with him Peter; also James and John, the sons of Zebedee, and went a little farther. Then he said to them:

“My soul is exceeding sorrowful, even unto death. Tarry ye here, and watch with me.”

Jesus went on a little farther, fell on his face on the ground, and prayed – saying:

“Abba, Father, all things are possible unto thee; take away this cup from me; nevertheless not what I will, but what thou wilt.”

Then he returned to the three disciples and, finding them asleep, said to Peter:

“Simon, sleepest thou? Couldest not thou watch one hour? Watch ye and pray, lest ye enter into temptation. The spirit truly is ready, but the flesh is weak.”

Jesus went away a second time and prayed, saying:

“O my Father, if this cup may not pass away from me, except I drink it, thy will be done.”

Then he returned and found the three asleep again. Jesus left them a third time and prayed with the same intent and in the same words as before.

When he returned to the three sleeping disciples, he said:

“Sleep on now, and take your rest. It is enough, the hour is come. Behold, the Son of man is betrayed into the hands of sinners. Rise up, let us go. Lo, he that betrayeth me is at hand.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

39: Jesus Defends His Disciples for Eating with Unwashed Hands

02: The Baptism of Jesus By John

53: Jesus Discusses The Need For Humility